Monday, May 7, 2012

Why is it so hard for non-black people to understand black hair?

I am tired of being the black representative for our hair in my office and other places. The fact is we can't ever ever wash and go. Unless you are mixed with something else. If you say you can and you are black you are lying. Somewhere back in your history is something other than black because we can never wash an go.



Braids are braids not extentions (non-black people get extensions)



Weaves are weaves not wigs



Corn Rolls are corn rolls not jail house braids



Dreads are dreads not braides.



Talk to me people tell me what think or what you know



Why is it so hard for non-black people to understand black hair?

Korea girl, she meant black as in of AFRICAN HERITAGE, not black as in color? I thought you guys had a better educational system than us americans did.



But I feel you on the being the black representative. But I do have to make a few points



I do have extention braids LOL



I HaTE when people call them corn rolls



And my family is jamacian and they never call them dreadlocks. They call them locks, dreadlocks were what the euro settlers in the Caribbean called them because they thought they looked dreadful lol.



ANd if you have locks or individual braids, you can wash and go lol.



Im not nit pickin at u sweetie, i'm just trying to make you smile. I had one of those days last week. But i find what you are talking about to be only the case here in the states.



Like that korea girl. Her response was that you were talking about hair COLOR, not hair of a race. Other countries dont think like americans do as far as differences between races.



I met this Japanese guy who plays tennis at the university here. He is from New Zealand. I couldnt tell what nationality he was (Chinese, Japanese, Mien, etc) so I asked. He said, I am A New Zealander. I was stuck for a min and figured he didnt hear my question so I asked him again. He said the same thing AND he had an accent. He didnt say, I'm Japanese-New Zealander, because they dont separate like that. If you are born in New Zealand, then you a New Zealander. Not African New Zelander.



Now dont get me wrong, i know that not ALL places outside of the US are like this but this continent has a majority of those kinds of issues.



Next time a coworker asks you something about our hair, get them a book, or tell them. At least they are asking and becoming educated rather than wallow in their ignorance like their parents lol. I know it sucks being the designated high priestess of all things black, but once people know about things, they are likely to share them. They ask you because they feel comfortable and are curious. Think of them like little children. Kids will ask you what ever pops in their head lol. You cant ask them why they dont understand lol.



Why is it so hard for non-black people to understand black hair?

I know i would love to wash my hair everyother day



Why is it so hard for non-black people to understand black hair?

what?!?



are you black or something?



Why is it so hard for non-black people to understand black hair?

i think this question is confussing unless u r a stylist!! but thanx for the poiints!



Why is it so hard for non-black people to understand black hair?

It is hard to understand something that you haven't personally experienced. Sorry that you feel that you are constantly having to re-explain yourself.



Why is it so hard for non-black people to understand black hair?

I know how you feel. It is so hard for non black people to understand because they are so used to their hair feeling like a Barbie Doll and they are also so used to washing and go. We black women can't do that because our hair is a different texture..........far different texture from white people(not to be racist but it's true)



Why is it so hard for non-black people to understand black hair?

I find that white and black folks hair is so totally opposite and it facintates me. Perms for one straighten and curl for the other. Some of it is just an ignorance, meaning lack of knowledge, not something derrogatory. If we don't ask, then we can't know.



But, in the scheme of things, what is the big deal? At least someone feels comfortable enough asking you and not assuming something. Be happy knowing that you're an easy person to ask.



Why is it so hard for non-black people to understand black hair?

If it bugs you that much..just change your hair color.



Here in Korea everyone has black hair, and now some are streaking it, or going red, or other strange colors..



Either accept yourself for what you are or go get some dye and make a drastic or otherwise change.



Whining about something gets you nowehere...if you want to change do it.



No-one has to be what they are born these days. Look at Michel Jackson.



And Smileeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!



Your attitude is what gets you responses NOT YOUR COLOR....



Why is it so hard for non-black people to understand black hair?

Well, I think you answered your own question. Non-black people do not have black hair. That's why we don't understand it.



However anyone that would call Corn Rolls "jail house braids" is just ignorant and really not worth anyone's time.



I know the difference between braids, weaves, Corn Rolls, dreads, and box braids. But maybe I'm just young and culturally aware. :)



Why is it so hard for non-black people to understand black hair?

Its not easy to wash and go with some white people either. My hair is so fudged up I cant even explain. But you prolly wouldn't understand, and try to say that I am faking, and it aint as bad as I say. Maybe somewhere in my history I have a little black in me if thats the only race allowed to have hair that no one else understands.



Why is it so hard for non-black people to understand black hair?

Lack of Education in the field of Cometology. Alot of non-black people feel it's too much work and most ethnics do alot of their own because it's alot of work. And most ethnics don't want to pay all the money for the time or they just may not be able to afford it.



Why is it so hard for non-black people to understand black hair?

because they dont have it so trhere is no point of reference... I dont have wings so I dont understand what the real day to day maintennence of wings would be...



Why is it so hard for non-black people to understand black hair?

I know what your talking about!



I'm white and have responded to others stupid questions/comments about black hair.



I also have to wonder why some white girls think they can use black hair products in their hair



Why is it so hard for non-black people to understand black hair?

Are you black cause your avatar isn't??



Why is it so hard for non-black people to understand black hair?

I think that it stinks that this is a frustrating issue for you, but I don't think all people can always see where other people are coming from. We can only sympathize with others within the realm of our own experience, and if you've never known or experienced black hair, then you probably won't know much about it. I would say, it's fine to vent and share your point of view, but in my own experience it's not always reasonable to expect everyone to know where you're coming from. But I think it's great to try and to be open and as understanding as possible no matter who you are, and to help others to be the same. :)



Why is it so hard for non-black people to understand black hair?

do you want some cheese with that whine?



i think you should stop taking it so seriously.



Why is it so hard for non-black people to understand black hair?

Ummmm...I'm black and I wash and go everyday!! And I'm black mixed with Blacker!! What I don't do is put chemicals aka relaxers in my hair. That's the reason why I am not confined by my hair, just as most white people. I do what nature intended it to do, just as most white people. Enough on that topic.



As far as you being the "black representative" at you job, there's a trick that I do with the people at my job when they start asking me about my natural hair/fro. I tell them to "Google it and educate your self! Because I don't have the time to answer all of the questions that you are asking me about black hair."



At first they look at me like, "Did she just tell me to 'Google it'," but after the first four people asking, everyone knows not to ask me crap about my hair. Now when we get new people that come to work here and they ask me about my hair, everyone answers for me............"Google it!!" It's a running joke in my workplace now.



Hope this Helps!!



Why is it so hard for non-black people to understand black hair?

Maybe you need to just not answer their questions. Tell them there are websites about the history of black hair.



Why is it so hard for non-black people to understand black hair?

Well i'm not black and no where near im 100% white so i can't really comment on this, But there is one thing



I want to say and that is this world is cruel they always have to find someone to pick on just to be funny of get attention, The truth is it is never funny to pick on any one for any reason unless they don't care and they think it is funny also. I think african american's hair is one of the most beautiful hair you just make it so cool. My hair is stright straight it never does any thing if I brai it and eave it for a day or two when i unbraid it it might be kinky for like 1 hour then it goes back to straight. It never stays up. I think everybody has issues with thier hair. And one more thing I love the way corn rows look so I just learned how to do it but now i just need some one to practice on all the time and all my friends work all day soo im out of luck. Good Luck

No comments:

Post a Comment